Just a few miles away from here, at the foot of a canyon that cuts through the Los Padres National Forrest and into Pasadena, a cold mountain-water creek snakes through a wide scramble of river rocks. It’s a scene from nature in action, which is not often on display here in Los Angeles where miles of our rivers have been lined with concrete.
This place is called Eaton Canyon, and it’s conveniently located off a main street in the suburban LA community of Altadena. Go down the long drive way past the wooden park entrance sign and through the parking lot, and you find yourself steeped in nature at every turn. It’s easy to forget that the bustling urban landscape starts just on the other side of the tree line – until you hear a burst of police sirens or snarled traffic.
It’s official: The Weekndr Family are now residents of Los Angeles, California. Well South Pasadena to be exact, since we’ve quickly discovered that this massive sprawl is made of up dozens upon dozens of cities and neighborhoods each with distinct personalities, crime rates, school districts, and housing prices, and it’s important to choose one that matches your desired profile.
We chose South Pas for several reasons, listed in no apparent order:
1. A flock of wild parrots flies around town offering daily sightings
2. It’s home to the first-ever Trader Joes
3. The school district is top-notch (and not part of LA Unified)
4. We were persuaded by an exceptional blogger with mad photography skills
5. I can take the Gold Line Metro to work and avoid the LA freeways
6. We scored an amazing rental house with a lime and orange tree in the backyard
7. It’s packed with Greene & Greene style craftsman houses, and the Morris Bed will fit right in
I’m sure we’ll discover more reasons as we settle in, complete with pictures. Stay tuned…
Anyone with young kids and time to kill in the New Hampshire-Vermont region near Hanover will appreciate the Montshire Museum of Science, a hands-on children’s museum designed for families just like us with preschoolers in need of a good dose of brain stimulation.
The museum is packed with indoor and outdoor activities, and regularly features new exhibits. We were in town for an impressive dinosaur exhibit this past weekend that featured life-size skeletons and other fun stuff. The entry fee is steep — mom and dad are $12 a pop, kids pay $10, and 2 and younger are free — and you can’t leave without dropping at least a twenty at the gift shop, but it goes to a good cause.
Our new camera did a good job with the highlights:
dinosaur bones at the montshire museum
dinosaur backbone at the montshire museum
honey bees at the montshire museum
stuffed moose at the montshire museum
bird's nest at the montshire museum
candid moment with skeleton at the montshire museum
It's what a burger's all about
Not listed in any particular order:
1. Eat a #3 at In-N-Out Burger
2. Play the maximum bet on the Wheel of Fortune Slot machine
3. Stay at a Casino on the strip
4. Swim in the hotel pool
5. Eat a greasy egg and bacon breakfast
6. People watch
7. Pay $5 for a venti drip coffee at the hotel Starbucks
8. Splurge for valet parking